Friday, December 6, 2013

Books

Thanks for the questions, made me so happy!
Some of you asked for tips on books.

Here's what I'm reading/planning/hoping to read the next few weeks:

Tomi: A Childhood Under the Nazis
http://www.amazon.com/Tomi-A-Childhood-Under-Nazis/dp/1570981639
Tomi Ungerer's biography on his childhood. I love Tomi. Love him.
Here's a radio clip for you

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/01/242156411/from-kids-books-to-erotica-tomi-ungerers-far-out-life

I'm also reading the American classic
A wrinkle in time

and Strider,  the sequel to Dear Mr Henshaw.

Thinking of getting The Goldfinch as an audiobook.

When I go to bed often reach for The Assassin's Cloak or Working by Studs Terkel. Because I love Assassin's cloak am also tempted to get The War Diaries.

Today was recommended (thanks Jenny!) Mastering the art of Soviet cooking
Had to ask if there was a literary companion called Mastering the art of appreciating Soviet cooking, but seems there isn't. I've tried Soviet cuisine on a number of times, for instance had mackerel in orange marmalade for breakfast once and it was very interesting.

Am reading my friend Bea's spectacular book on engineer Andrées failed endeavor to reach the North Pole by balloon in 1897.
Only available in Swedish so far, but an English edition will be released in 2014. You will love it.

Finished Gone Girl and enjoyed the consuming read, now reading Sharp objects and though I love Flynn's writing I wish she would use her talent, wit and humor for non-crime too. But why should she, really?

Because I loved Funny Business and Dear Genius, might get
Randolph Caldecott: The Man Who Could Not Stop Drawing.

Had looked forward to the new Amy Tan novel Valley of Amazement but am a bit reluctant after having read reader reviews. Did any of you read it yet? Should I reconsider?