Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer day camp



















(7.55 am. Walking to soccer day camp).

"Mom, don't you think it's rough to make an 8-year old Swedish boy go to soccer camp and play for 8 hours in the scorching sun, not really understanding one word the others are saying, being the only foreigner among hundreds of kids?"

"Hmm. Yes, perhaps a bit rough. But you love soccer and I think it's as great way as any to pick up some English. The sooner you learn it, the better."

"I won't learn that fast."

"Sure you will. You've already picked up a bunch of words you didn't know before. Like snack time."

"True. Don't know how often I'll say snack time though."

"Perhaps you won't say it but it's a good term to understand."

"Maybe. Anyhow I wish we hadn't moved here. Why did we have to move here?"

"It takes some time getting used to everything new. I really think you will love it here or we would never have moved here. Do you want me to come pick you up earlier from camp. That would be no problem."

(Have arrived at the soccer field. Joel kicks around with ball, plays with other kids, looking surprisingly comfortable considering the past minutes conversation.)

"No. It's fine. I'll play all day."

---
Niki throwing tantrums all morning saying she doesn't want to go to dance day camp.

"When I grow up and have kids, I'll never force them to go to dance."

"Ok, that's for you to decide then, I'm still making you go to dance class today."

(Crying, kicking me, protesting 10 blocks on the way to dance class.)

2 blocks from dance camp:

"Mom, know how I've said all morning that I don't want to go to dance class? I've changed my mind! Now I really want to go"

"That's fantastic news! I'm so happy about this."

"Yeah, life's funny this way. First you don't want something, then you do!"