Monday, January 26, 2009

Dear Metropolitan museum of art






















So so so happy I will soon get to see you in person, although I'm missing the exhibition Art and love in renaissance Italy. 

Pictured above is an item from that very exhibition. It's a childbirth tray with the inscription:
QUESTO SI FE A DI XXV DAPRILE NEL MILLE QUATTROCENTO VENTOTTO (This was made on the 25th of April, 1428); on reverse: FACCIA IDDIO SANA OGNI DONNA CHFFIGLIA EPADRI LORO . . . RO . . . ERNATO SIA SANZA NOIA ORICHDIA ISONO UNBANBOLIN CHESULI . . . A DIMORO FO LAPISCIA DARIENTO EDORO (May God give health to every woman who gives birth and to the child's father . . . may [the child] be born without fatigue or danger. I am a baby who lives on a [rock] . . . and I make urine of silver and gold.)


That's not the kind of babies I have. But man, would I like to have a child peeing silver and gold right now. As long as it wouldn't hurt them.